tmedia
Main content

SwansTV

Swans make further list changes

Sydney Swans Media  October 31, 2017 3:45 PM

20171031_ajohnson_p.jpg

The Sydney Swans have made a further two changes to their playing list for season 2018.

Premiership player Alex Johnson has been told he will not be offered a place on the Club’s primary list next season, however the Swans will strongly consider redrafting Johnson as a rookie subsequent to a medical and conditioning assessment prior to the rookie draft.

The Swans recruited Johnson with pick 57 in the 2010 AFL Draft. It didn’t take the defender long to get a call up to the senior team, making his debut in Round 3 the following year.

Johnson quickly emerged as a reliable rebounding defender, playing 45 games in two years including the Club’s 2012 premiership, before injury struck.

After five successive knee reconstructions and 1736 days on the sidelines, the 25-year-old made a remarkable return to football in Sydney’s NEAFL side this season, however he was unable to break into the senior team.

Sydney Swans Head of Football Tom Harley says it was a difficult decision based on team balance.

“Alex is an extremely popular and respected member of the playing group, and he has worked incredibly hard to get back to where he is,” Harley said.

“While we know Alex is disappointed, he understands the decision and remains driven to play AFL football.

“We will reassess Alex and our list after the AFL National Draft, however in the interim Alex will continue to train with the team.”

Meanwhile first-year rookie Sam Fisher has also been advised he’s no guarantee of retaining his place on the rookie list next season, however he will also continue to train with the team until the upcoming drafts. 

The Canberra product joined the Swans as a category b rookie last year and has been developing his craft in the NEAFL.