The QBE Sydney Swans Academy Program was established in 2010 and provides a high-level junior development program that plays a leading role in building and maintaining a strong AFL culture in NSW.
In 2023 our program will include up to 380 male players aged from 11 to 19, and 300 female players aged from 12 to 19.
The Academy has approximately 80 coaches and conditioning staff who train players at eight locations in NSW including Sydney City, North Sydney, South Sydney, Northern Beaches, Illawarra, Central Coast, Hunter, and our North Coast region which is made up of Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie and surrounding areas.
The Academy program is made up of two parts:
- Top End Male and Female: Under 16 – 18 (born 2005 – 2007)
- Youth Boy and Youth Girl: Under 11 – 15 (born 2008 – 2012)
Academy Zone - only players who reside in the Swans Academy zone are eligible for selection. Stay tuned for the map of the Swans Academy zone.
Top End Academy Program
The Top End Academy program consists of four squads:
- U16 and U18 Male (2)
- U16 and U18 Female (2)
The Female Squads will train on Monday and Wednesday nights from mid-November through to June. They will play games against National Academy teams (Giants, Suns and Lions) as well as NAB Teams in Victoria.
The Male Squads will train on Tuesday and Thursday nights from mid-November through to August. They will play games against National Academy teams (Giants, Suns and Lions) as well as Talent League teams in Victoria.
Gaining Entry in Top End Program
Squads for our Top End program are 80% completed through natural progression year on year through the Academy.
Benchmark training through invite Only
For further opportunity to enter our Under 16 and Under 18 Male and Female Academy squads, we have a four-week benchmark training block held throughout late November into December.
This four-week benchmark training block sits in our Talent ID category and eligible players must be recommended by local coaches who have a knowledge of the players capabilities when applying for an opportunity or have been invited by the Sydney Swans Academy to participate.
Youth Boy and Youth Girl Program
The Youth Boy & Girl Academy program runs for approximately 22 weeks from February to end of August.
The program involves a mix of Monday and Wednesday training sessions in our eight locations. The training is a combination of fundamental skill sessions, specific squad training and Academy Cup match-play sessions at Tramway Oval near the Swans Headquarters. These sessions provide players of all ages a mix of skill development, fitness training and high-level competition to help develop their football acumen.
Gaining Entry in Youth Boy & Girl Academy
Squads for our Youth Boy & Girl Program are 80% completed through natural progression year on year through the Academy.
Open Athlete Assessment Trials
For further opportunity to gain entry, each year in the month of August/September, the Sydney Swans Academy conduct Open Athlete Assessment Trials for players looking to gain a spot in the Youth Boy and Youth Girl Academy the following year.
- Youth Boys Trials are for those male participants who are in the Under 10, Under 11, and Under 12 age groups. That is, boys who turn 10, 11 and 12 in the year the trial is held. Successful male players from the trials will enter the Academy the following year when they will be turning 11, 12, and 13 years of age.
- The Youth Girls programs are for those female participants who are in the Under 11, Under 12, Under 13 and Under 14 age groups. That is, girls who turn 11, 12, 13, 14 in the year the trial is held. Successful female players from the trials will enter the Academy the following year when they will be turning 12, 13, 14 or 15 years of age.
- Eligibility - boys and girls who have not yet reached the minimum age – turning 10 for boys and turning 11 for girls – are not eligible to trial.
Youth Boy Talent Search – Under 14 & Under 15 Boys
Squads for our U14 & U15 Boys Program are 80% completed through natural progression year on year through the Academy.
In 2023 we will be introducing Talent ID sessions for our Youth Boys to have an opportunity to enter the program.
These sessions will be conducted throughout the year so we can assess players and potentially give them an opportunity to join the program during the 2023 season.