Bigger crowds are destined for the SCG in just a matter of weeks, after the NSW Government granted approval for stadiums to fill up to 25 per cent capacity.
The changes take effect from the start of next month, allowing the Sydney Swans to host a crowd of at least 10,000 spectators for their clash with Melbourne on Sunday, July 5.
Sydney Swans CEO Tom Harley has welcomed the news, which comes after Sydney’s first game at the SCG in nine long months.
“This is a terrific outcome for fans and for football,” Harley said.
“After such an unusual build-up it was wonderful to be back at the SCG last weekend to see the team in action.
“We know our members were excited to have the opportunity to be at the game and we’re thrilled that we can now extend that opportunity to even more members in the weeks ahead.”
A contingent of 337 spectators watched the Swans battle Essendon last Sunday in the first public gathering at the SCG since the COVID-19 pandemic sent Australia into lockdown.
The crowd was comprised of Bloods 2020 11-game members who entered a ballot system for tickets, along with Sydney Swans corporate partners, SCG Members and a small contingent of opposition supporters.
“Although it wasn’t the result we had been hoping for, it was a unique experience and the feedback from those who attended was really positive,” Harley said.
“We thank the NSW Government for their support in enabling us to bring fans back to our games. We will continue to work with them to increase our crowd capacity as restrictions ease, and in line with advice from health authorities.
“I would also like to extend our gratitude to every one of our Bloods 2020 Members and Supporters who have stuck with the club this season, many of them pledging support when it was unclear if there would be an opportunity to attend a match. Thank you. We can’t wait to see you back at the SCG.”
The club will communicate further details to members in the coming days about access to upcoming matches.